Healthy Homes standards: Do you know what you need to do next?
August 6th 2019
* The info below from Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment
From 1 July 2019
1. Ceiling and underfloor insulation is required in all rental homes where it's reasonably practicable, ie feasible, to install.
2. Landlords must include a separately signed statement with each tenancy agreement that they will meet, or already meet, the healthy homes standards. This applies to any new, varied or renewed agreement. This statement is in addition to the existing requirement to include a separately signed insulation statement. Tenancy Services has guidance about tenancy agreements and statements on their site. They also offer templates you can use to get it done.
Check the tenancy agreements on Tenancy Services
3. Landlords must begin keeping records that show compliance with any healthy homes standards that apply, or will apply, during the tenancy. Records can include:
- - a Building Code compliance certificate
- - documents (eg receipts, reports or certificates), photographs and video recordings of professional work, evaluations or inspections that have been done
- - product manuals and/or other manufacturer’s information for installed products, eg heat pump.
See how to keep records on Tenancy Services
From 1 July 2020
Landlords must include a statement in the tenancy agreement of their current level of compliance with each of the healthy homes standards. This applies to any new or renewed tenancy agreement.
From 1 July 2021
Private landlords must ensure their rental properties meet the healthy homes standards within 90 days of any new, or renewed, tenancy agreement. All boarding houses must meet all the healthy homes standards as well.
From 1 July 2023
All Housing New Zealand and registered Community Housing Provider houses must meet all the healthy homes standards.
From 1 July 2024
All rental homes must meet all the healthy homes standards. This means any work done or products purchased to meet the new standards needs to be completed by 1 July 2024.
More about healthy homes on Tenancy Services